VOLUNTEER FOR HOBY
“I don’t know what your destiny will be, but one thing I know, the only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve.” – Albert Schweitzer
Every year, more than 4,000 men and women throughout the country commit their time, energy and talents to planning and executing HOBY’s programs including: Community Leadership Workshops, Leadership Seminars, the World Leadership Congress, alumni activities and more.
Volunteers make a significant impact on the lives of HOBY participants, while also having an opportunity to reevaluate their own life goals and objectives, share their experiences, and have fun! Due to the selfless efforts of these special volunteers, more than 355,000 students have participated in HOBY programs since 1958.
Volunteers come from all backgrounds and experiences to work together towards realizing HOBY’s vision. They are:
• keynote speakers and guest panelists who challenge students’ ideas about leadership
• group facilitators who guide participants through their experience
• advocates who engage local communities and companies to help fund the participants’ program costs
• recruiters who share the HOBY story and encourage schools to get involved
• professionals who serve on the boards and program committees of HOBY state corporations and provide
guidance on program planning, marketing, finances, and more.
HOBY seeks out energetic and driven individuals who want to make a difference, motivate young people and serve their communities.
Volunteer opportunities include:
• Corporate Board: Volunteers 21 years of age or older are able to serve on the corporate board of directors.
The corporate board meets monthly and manages all programs of HOBY South Dakota, from the leadership seminar to alumni activities. (commitment varies).
• Facilitators: An opportunity for adults, age 18 and older, to lead a group of sophomores during the seminar
(4 day commitment).
• Team Alumni: High school-age HOBY alumni who return to energize and coordinate activities for the seminar
(4 day commitment).
• Planning Committee: Roles include fundraising, program planning, volunteer coordination, special events planning, and facilities coordination. (8-12 month position)